Health benefits of Cabbage are endless and its a vegetable for which we should make space in our plates on a regular basis. I cook cabbage often and in various ways, but I have noticed that this is one preparation that has converted even cabbage haters to cabbage likers. Its a favorite among my Non-Bengali and Non-Indian friends. Every single time I have served this, it has been a hit. To me its special because it brings back memories of school days and sharing lunch boxes, especially one of my best friend who always claimed rights on this.
A few days after our wedding H and I were grocery shopping, I reached for the cabbage and immediately heard him say “I don’t like cabbage baby”. I just responded with ‘But I do’ and bought it nonetheless. Same evening I cooked this. He tasted some and since then he likes cabbage. I like eating it with rice/quinoa and Bhaja Moonger Dal with a squeeze of lemon juice, H likes it with paratha.
Time for Prep: 20 mins Time to Cook: 20-25 mins Yield: 4-6 servings Level: Easy
- 1 medium sized cabbage, shredded
- 1 large potato, cubed
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen green peas
- 4-5 fresh green chile pepper, slit
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cayenne or red chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp ghee + 1 tsp for garnish
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp sugar (optional)
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped for garnish
- In a heavy bottom pan, heat the ghee over medium heat. Add bay leaf, cumin and caraway seeds.
- When the tempering starts spluttering and you can get the aroma, add the potatoes. Saute for 2-3 mins, till they get a little fried.
- Add cabbage, mix it in, then add ginger, cayenne, coriander powder, turmeric and salt. Mix everything in, sauté for 3-4 mins.
- Add tomatoes and the green peas, fold them in. Cover and cook, stirring on regular intervals. Cabbage and tomatoes leave enough water to cook the vegetables, but if you think its not enough add a bit of water. Remember this is a dry dish, so if you add too much water, you will need cook longer.
- Check for doneness by cutting one of the pieces of potatoes. If the potatoes are fully cooked, turn of the heat. Add the ghee, garam masala and sugar. Mix it in. Garnish with Cilantro.
Serve with rice and dal or chapatis.