Fall is my favorite season! The change of hue in leaves and the blue of the sky, the nip in the air, warm ciders, the festive feel around. With the chill also comes cravings for fresh warm food. My menu is usually dominated by parathas, stews and soups. Farmers market at this time of the year is all about squashes, pears, apples and cauliflower, so is most of the food I cook.
Fall is also the busiest time of the year for my artist career, prepping for the holiday season and my goal with cooking is to make wholesome quick meals. This is just that.
I used summer squash, you can get creative and use other vegetables too. This recipe calls for shallots, simply because I like how they punch in a lot of flavor and integrate easily and cherry tomatoes for the sweetness. You can use 1 regular onion and 1 regular sized tomato instead. The wine and vinegar is optional. The wine add a sweet fruity flavor and the vinegar a sourness that I like, but if you don’t have it handy don’t let that stop you from trying this, a pinch of sugar and some lemon juice will also work great!
I cooked the Lentil and Squash separately because the cooking time of the two is different. If you cook them together, all the squash will become mushy and pasty.
This goes great with Baguettes, rice, pulao or Quinoa Cakes.
Time for Prep: 10 mins Time to Cook: 35 mins Yield: 4-6 Servings Level: Easy
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil (or any cooking oil you prefer)
- 3-4 shallots, finely diced
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup sherry (optional)
- 2 cups french green lentils, rinsed and soaked for 30 mins
- 4 cups water
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar (optional)
- 2 cups summer squash, chopped
- 2 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 15-20 cherry tomatoes, halved or 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- 6-7 basil leaves, rolled into a bundle and cut into thin strips (chiffonade)
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Cooking the Lentil:
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in large sauce pan over medium heat. Add the shallots, garlic, 1 tsp cayenne and salt.
- Sauté until softened, about 3-4 mins. Add the wine and sauté till the onions begin to caramelize, around 4-5 mins more.
- Add the lentils, green peas and chopped carrots, stir them in and sauté for 2-3 mins.
- Add water, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until lentils are tender. Around 20 mins.
- Cooking the squash:
- While the lentils are cooking, heat 2 tbsp oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tomatoes, summer squash, 1 tsp cayenne and salt. Cook till tender.
- Once the lentils are cooked add the sherry vinegar. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Putting it together:
- Add the cooked summer squash to the lentil and start it in (Or)
- In a bowl fist ladle in the lentil, then top it with the squash.
- Garnish with basil leaves.