Kadai is a thick bottom circular cooking pan, similar to a wok, but with steeper sides, an essential in every Indian kitchen. This dish is traditionally cooked in one and hence the name Kadai Paneer. The combination of the the tangy tomato gravy balanced with a dash of sweetness from cream followed by a garnish of dried fenugreek leaves makes this dish. It’s rich texture and ease to cook makes it a perfect dish to cook when entertaining. So far I have never had leftovers and always find myself writing this recipe down for people.
I am good at figuring things out and really enjoy the process of deconstructing a dish, understanding the various ingredients that went in it and building it all together. This dish is one of them, I had an idea of this dish and I modified it to be my own. Traditionally ginger, garlic and a few more whole spices are added to this dish. I prefer it without those.
I have made this dish for my vegan friends and its easy. For a vegan version, use Tofu instead of Paneer and cashews for the creamy sweet richness. Even my non-vegan friends love that variation.
Time for Prep: 10 mins Time to Cook: 25 mins Yield: 4-6 servings Level: Easy
- 10 oz Paneer
- 1 onion, julienned
- 1 small green bell pepper, julienned
- 1 small red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 dried red chilli
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne or red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 4 tbsp fresh cream or heavy cream
- 2 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves (Kasoori Methi)
- In a heavy bottom pan, heat butter over medium heat. Add bay leaf, dried red chilli, cumin and caraway seeds.
- When the tempering starts spluttering and you can get the aroma, add onions. Saute for 4-5 mins, till they get a little caramalized.
- Add the red and green bell peppers, mix it in, then garam masala,cayenne, coriander powder, turmeric and salt. Mix everything in, sauté for 3-4 mins.
- Add the chopped tomato fold it in. Cover and cook, stirring on regular interval until it gets mushy or 4-5 mins.
- Add in tomato puree, cover and cook for another 5 mins, to take away the rawness.
- Add Paneer, fold it in and cook for 2-3 mins.
- Add cream, mix it in and turn of the flame. Do not cook after adding cream or it will curdle.
- Garnish with Kasoori Methi.
Serve with naan or chapatis.