Sheer Khurma translates to milk with dates is a variety of vermicelli pudding made during the festival of Eid-Ul-Fitr or Meethi Eid (Sweet festival) in Hyderabad. Although in the Mukherjee household we made it on demand, whenever we felt like celebrating, which was pretty often. I love this dish! It takes me back to some hilarious memories and never fails to put a smile on my face. My dad was a diabetic with a sweet tooth and craved a ‘sweet dish’ every night. My mom, the responsible one, always tried to keep a check on his diet. So his work around was to master making this dish and not share it with her! LOL!
This is a super easy dessert that can be made in short notice when you need to entertain surprise guests or satisfy those wicked sweet cravings.
Time for Prep: 5 mins Time to Cook: 25 mins Yield: 6-8 servings Level: Easy
- 1 cup vermicelli (crushed)
- 6 cups milk
- 1 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
- 6 dried dates, soaked and cut into smaller pieces
- 1.5 cups sugar (I use coconut or date sugar)
- 1/2 tsp cardamon powder
- 2 tbsp blanched almonds, sliced
- 2 tbsp pistachios, sliced
- 2 tbsp raisins
- In a saucepan over medium heat add milk, cardamon and sugar, cook over medium-low heat for around 20 mins or until the milk thickens a little and reduces to 3/4 of its volume.
- While the milk cooks, heat ghee in a frypan/skillet over medium heat. Add the crushed vermicelli and sauté till golden brown, around 8-10 mins.
- Add the cooked vermicelli and soaked dates to the thickened milk. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 mins.
- Garnish with the almonds, pistachio and raisins. Serve warm.